Tuesday, December 2, 2008

A Story of Friendship and Terror


It's not likely this entry will live up to that title. (Currently a book on sale at Amazon about prisoner's of war...no I haven't read it.)

Friend Cheryl comes in tomorrow. All the way from Western NC. (A distinction made by residents of Western NC.) She lives about 3 miles from my older sons (21 and 18) and sees one of them frequently sucking down expensive caffeine in the local coffee shop. (Like mother like son.) We went to college together. (VERY small liberal arts hippie dippy--go figure.) Graduated (Both of us!) and reared Children (6 collectively...she all girls, me all boys.)

I am both THRILLED and appalled she is coming. I am not a very social person. Well, occasionally I am a social person. But I choose to not practice the art of sociality often enough. I will probably talk too much. She will be thin. I will be less thin. She will be TALL. I will be less tall. She is a nurse. The women in past generations of my family believed that nursing was the pinnacle of womanhood. Whether or not your husband left you, you could always be a nurse. (And it would connect you just a little more to Mary and Jesus.) This generation of women are slightly less crazy underachievers. Nurses scare us just a little.

I value this person beyond any quantifiable measure. She is flat out lovely. It's just the whole....10 years have gone by...will we still laugh our butts off thing. I suspect we will. I'll keep you posted.

No comments: