Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Interplanet Janet


Being somewhat (or er almost completely) process oriented, I am frequently surprised when I spend several hours on a piece and what comes out is horrid. It goes something like this:
Oh, cool, here's some brass tubing and a corrugated piece of mokume. Soldier. Soldier. hmmm...what if I close this end with a disk I've curved inward. K, cool. That works. ooh, a little garnet cab. Hmm, little weights soldiered to the bottom of the chain. Gotcha. Good plan!
An hour or so later...I have a capsule for storing the ashes of a particularly grouchy alien. (Just a tad phallic, eh?)
Now--an equal number of times this process will lead to something astonishing. I'm not knocking process, or jubilant soldiering. But here's where I miss school. Forced critique with other people engaging in the same creative process. Joiners, you know you're out there, will gather with creative people even after art school is longgggggg over. I am not a joiner.
So what do I do? I photograph...the good...the bad....the alien. And hope for comments!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Soldiering is for soldiers. Soldering is for metals. :)