Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Wednesday, Woden's Day, Odin's Way


In Norse Mythology, Odin had two crows: Huginn (Thought) and Muninn (Memory). Each morning at dawn he would send them out to gather news and information. When they returned at dusk, they would perch on his shoulders and whisper everything they had seen and heard.

The whole world wide, every day,
fly Huginn and Muninn;
I worry lest Huginn should fall in flight,
yet more I fear for Muninn.
From Grímnismál:

Why does Odin fear more for Munnin?

I started a little reliquary pendant yesterday. Tiny bits of metal--Copper and Brass--to hold snatches of memory that still make me wince. I like the symbolic--placing away. Making the memory concrete--storing it outside myself. 3 broken saw blades, one broken drill bit, and one very minor flesh wound, progress is being made.

No comments: