Sunday, October 26, 2008

More with Mobius

It's been interesting to learn a process for writing instructions. It's certainly forced me to bone up on my picture taking! And these earrings may be perfectly self explanatory, but if not, here goes:

Step one: Make a Mobius circle. Take one jump ring and connect it to a second. Connect a third jump ring thru the center of both.

Step 2: Using your round nose pliers, make a large loop at the end of of of a piece of 20 g wire. On my pliers I use the very end of the tapered nose...right where they connect. Then add the sun charm and wrap your loop. (Here's a great tutorial for wrapped loops.) wrapped Snip the ends with your flush cut pliers. (I used Joyce Chen shears.****) Use your flat nose pliers and force any little tag of leftover cut wired into the wrap.

Step 3: String on a copper washer, the large amber Czech glass rondelle, the Mobius circle you made earlier, and a 4mm firepolished round. Then make a second smaller wrapped loop. (I use almost the very end of my round nose pliers to do this.) Snip the excess and again, make sure it's flush with your flat nose pliers.

Step 4: Add the earring wires and make sure their loop is closed tight.

****Joyce Chen Shears are used by LOTS of metalsmiths. They cut wire and metal sheet with ease...much better than many "for metal" shears I've owned. They're actually kitchen poultry shears and I know gardeners who use them. Oddly, they're not sold in any metalsmithing supply catalogues. Go figure.

No comments: