Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Easy Earrings #3 Curly Swirlys

I used 20g brass wire for these earrings. I went thru the steps about 6 times before I found a reasonably matched pair. But brass wire is cheap and all the extras made the final earrings better than the first.

Step 1) Cut about 6 inches of 20g brass wire.

Step 2) About 2/3 of the way across make a wrapped loop.

Step 3) On the short end, make a curl.

Step 4) Curve the longer end around as shown in the picture.

Step 5) Add a bead. (in the picture, it's shown without.) The bead is an optional bit of flash.

Step 6) Then make another curl running back the other direction.

Step 7) You may notice how RUSTY my baby anvil is. Clearly NOT a good sign that it's been used much lately. I took a small chasing hammer and flattened the earring. You can leave the wire round, but when flattened it looks a bit more finished. Use small light taps and avoid the beads. (Glass and steel don't get along well.) If you don't have a baby anvil, It's possible an old cookie sheet might do the trick. Good chasing hammers are expensive...and any hammer will do. Just remember, light taps. A little goes a long way.

I think the pictures are better than the explanation this time. Feel free to email me with questions.

No comments: