Saturday, November 15, 2008

Easy Earrings #15--Byzantine Empire




In 726, an underwater earthquake between the islands of Thera and Therasia was interpreted by Emperor Leo III as a sign of God's anger, and may have led Leo to remove a famous icon of Christ from the Chalke Gate outside of the imperial palace. Iconoclasm, Greek for "image-breaking", is the deliberate destruction within a culture of the culture's own religious icons and other symbols or monuments. And Leo may well have started this movement!

Geez, I love Wikipedia. I know, I know. It's frequently questionable sources could be leading me astray in all sorts of heinous directions. But at 2 am it thrills me to be able to look up words.

Easy earrings #15--Byzantine chain maille with amber dangles. Harder than they look. In fact, I've made 3 and none of them match. BUT, I'm counting them!

No comments: