Monday, February 23, 2009

The Art of Being Tuareg

The 200 square foot studio I am now living in
has become the perfect size for me. I appear to be
in a process of downsizing which will eventually lend
itself gracefully to being packaged in a a rusty old Microbus.
I sit in my studio late at night and pretend I live on a boat--the effect inexplicably heightened by the freight trains that pass every
few hours. The broom has "it's" place. My only mug is my favorite mug. The 2 plates are each the perfect shade of lime green fiesta ware. I can sweep, mop, dust and clean in just under 25 minutes--and do so with far more regularity than I did in other much larger homes. Entertaining is made irrelevant. You fit, or you don't fit. (Or choose to fit.) Should you bravely venture in, I will feed you oatmeal cookies made in my toaster oven.

I have been accused recently (and probably accurately) of being selfish. Of being eccentric. (I used kinder adjectives than were gifted me.) I do know I'm lucky to be able to make this choice. It was not foisted upon me. And how pleasant to know myself well enough that small spaces (and those that I can afford) have far more appeal than Mega Homes.

2 comments:

pam q said...

What is the thing about those huge houses??? I don't get it.

I still have a "few" more things to get rid of before I can manage what you have accomplished, but maybe some day....

If I lived closed, I would bring my own mug & come over for some of those oatmeal cookies from the toaster oven.....

Kristen said...

Hey Pam Q. I finally reenter the world to find such a nice comment. Thank you!