Friday, June 5, 2009

Lions and Tigers and Chiggers, Oh My!


I'd forgotten. Just simply forgotten. Sure, in Nevada I'd acquired a chapstick habit. Yep, winter in Reno sucks! But I'd conveniently forgotten Oklahoma's charms: Humidity, ticks, and chiggers. Not quite the 7th, 6th, and 5th rings of hell--but, well, close.

I just got back from a twelve hour hike in the Wichita Mountains. The area is a wildlife refuge for bison and cows--the long horned variety. Those of you who know anything about me know that I was probably ill prepared for a 12 hour hike....straight up the mountain, granite boulders to climb up and around, poison oak and ivy. Oh, and did I mention ticks, chiggers, and humidity? At one point when I was protesting my assumed ability to continue hiking, something resembling more of a shriek than a whine, I looked up and realized I was 10 feet from a buffalo (well, bison.) I knew my spirit animal wasn't a cougar---but I hadn't considered a buffalo. Yet.

No comments: